Women's Leadership Council
United Way's Women's Leadership Council (WLC) is the largest women's philanthropic organization in the world. Since its founding in 2001, WLCs worldwide have raised more than one billion dollars to support the programs and initiatives led by United Way.
WLC came to Kansas City in 2009 and now includes more than 550 members, a diverse group of like-minded women who provide leadership gifts to United Way and who strive to make a positive impact in our community. WLC membership includes a variety of volunteer opportunities, networking and social events and providing philanthropic leadership in their workplaces and communities.
United Way of Greater Kansas City WLC Facts at a Glance:
* WLC members have selected Education as the membership's primary focus through volunteer engagement and one-on-one involvement with youth in our community.
* WLC members also sponsor Dolly Parton's Imagination Library, which is coming to Kansas City in 2013 and which provides a free, age-appropriate book every month for children from birth to age 5 in our selected neighborhoods. The Imagination Library will serve 1,000-1,200 children in its first year, with plans to expand to more than 5,000 children throughout the metro area in the next five years.
* Members are encouraged to join committees for direct involvement in the planning and execution of WLC events and volunteer opportunities.
* WLC members meet almost every month for educational programs, networking and social opportunities, and a volunteer engagement event at least once a quarter.
* Annual membership contribution is $2,400 -- click here to join; a three-year step-up program is also available for $1,600 (year 1); $2,000 (year 2); $2,400 (year 3) and requires a 3-year commitment to the group. Click here to join.